The Master of Arts in Spiritual Ministry is designed to equip persons for competent leadership in spiritual ministry in parish, religious community, or other pastoral settings. Foundational courses undergird effective spiritual ministry with basic background in ministry, religious studies, biblical studies, and church history. Program requirements emphasize historical perspectives on spirituality and an ecclesial vision of contemporary spirituality as well as basic skills in companioning and spiritual formation.
While this is not a training program in spiritual direction, it provides an excellent complement to such a program. Students come with goals such as to exercise spiritual leadership in prayer groups, small Christian communities, or religious communities; work in formation in a religious or lay setting; lead retreats; give workshops or write on spiritual topics; add a broad background in theology and spirituality to a more skills-focused chaplaincy preparation such as CPE; and/or enrich their existing presbyterial or lay ministry with an enhanced spiritual focus.
Program Structure (36 semester credits)
- 24 semester credits required courses
- 3 semester credits Ministry Practicum
- 9 semester credits elective courses
In addition to their coursework, all CTU students participate in spiritual formation that helps them integrate their theological coursework into their daily lives. For more information about formation programs at CTU, click here.
- Engage in constructive theological reflection on Catholic scripture and tradition in a faithful, historically critical, and culturally and ecumenically sensitive manner;
- Demonstrate in practice the capacity for effective pastoral leadership within their particular cultural and religious contexts; and
- Demonstrate progress toward integration as ministers/leaders, including growth in their spiritual formation and their development of a coherent theological vision.
Critical Dates and Deadlines
- March 1, 2020 – CTU Scholarship Application Deadline (all admission application material must be received by CTU by March 1, 2020 in order to be considered for scholarships)
- May 1, 2020 –Application deadline for Internationally-based students
- August 15, 2020 – Application deadline for US-based students