CTU has a strong commitment to Field Education. Having practical experience in ministry is essential to the development of skills needed to be an effective minister. Field Education offers students the opportunity to explore a ministry in a supervised setting and to participate in the process of theological reflection.
While open to all students, field education is a requirement of all Master of Divinity (M.Div.) students, Master of Pastoral Studies (MAPS) students, and Master of Arts in Specialized Ministries. Students take either one semester or a full year of Ministry Practicum based on their program requirements.
Courses within Field Education include:
• Ministry Practicum for a semester or a full year.
• Clinical Pastoral Experience
• Pastoral Immersion
Ministry Practicum Courses have the following pre-requisites:
• 3000 level Pastoral Ministry course
• Virtus Training Workshop
• Human Sexuality Workshop
• Professional Standards Workshop
• Ministry Practicum Orientation and Interview Workshop Ministry
Ministry Practicum Orientation and Interview Workshop Ministry Practicum placements cover a variety of areas, some examples are:
• Offering RCIA classes to students at UIC or The University of Chicago
• Working with Aquinas Literacy tutoring English as a Second Language
• Working on the team of young adult ministry at Old St. Patrick’s Church
• Praying with detainees through the Interfaith Committee on Detained Immigrants
• Learning about Spiritual Direction through the Claret Center
• One unit of CPE in conjunction with the Association Clinical Pastoral Experience
• Working with Kolbe House on issues of restorative justice and prison ministry
• Religious education with mentally challenged populations
All placements are direct service, hands on, and supervised. Distance students have the opportunity to work in field education placements in their home community. Students required to take Field Education courses should contact the Director of Field Education during their first year at CTU.
For more information about the Field Education Program, please contact: